compensation: To be determined based upon experience and verifiable references employment type: part-time
QR Code Link to This Post
We are seeking a person who lives in, or a convenient distance to, the Black Rock area in Buffalo; who can help assist our family member with personal (non-nursing) care in his home. Scheduling will comprise a short period in the mid- to-late evenings, and/or during the day on Sundays each week. Hours may be flexible as best suit both client and care-provider.
The client is 59 years old, has cerebral palsy, and uses a wheelchair. He is fully cognitively capable, intelligent and conversant, and is capable of clearly directing his physical care needs.
Care responsibilities include the following:
• Reminder to take evening medications and supplements
• Assist with direct transfer from wheelchair into bed (involves helping lift legs onto bed)
• Removing shoes, brace and compression stockings
• Light bathing (bed bath) if needed
• Apply non-medicinal topical treatment to toes and feet, and moisturizer to lower legs, as needed
• Assure that assistive equipment, water, medications, phone etc. are placed within reach of the bed
• Set up power wheelchair to charge battery overnight
Other, as needed:
• Wash dishes, cookware and utensils from dinner, if any. Light kitchen clean-up.
• Possibly others for discussion
• If hired for Sunday in-home care, additional responsibilities details will be provided.
The ideal candidate:
• Will have had at least two years of experience in either or both home-based or assisted-living or nursing residence facility, caring for person(s) with disabilities
• Can provide verifiable work and personal references
• Experience and familiarity working with persons with cerebral palsy helpful, but not required.
• Is comfortable working with a male client who may occasionally require personal hygiene care
• Is confident working with a client with a physical disability
• Possesses the physical strength to assist client transferring into bed
• Is honest and dependable
• Is willing to communicate with client family members if any concerns or questions present
Chosen candidate, upon successful interview and hiring, will be asked to sign up through the Western New York Independent Living (WNYIL)'s Taking Control Consumer-Directed Personal Assistant Program.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers